Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Walking to DC March 23, 2010



Today’s whispered prayers were for the 23,000 teachers who were given pink slips last week in California. Is this the promise of “Race To The Top” that our federal government will abandon public schools in need? One does wonder how the same federal government that ran head over heals to save Wall Street could turn it’s back on it’s public schools. We don’t need new tests, new standards, new curriculums in boxes, new data tracking systems that reduces our children to test scores. 23,000 fewer teachers’ means larger class sizes for children always ready struggling.

As a person of intense faith I believe everyone will be held accountable in the end.
Who would you rather be; The man walking to DC, because someone has to tell them children are more than test scores, or the people in Washington DC who saved Wall Street, but could not find it in their hearts to save our schools?

Today’s six miles was the hardest thus far, but then I saw Children are more than test scores go over 3000 members, and I ran the last mile as 814 calories melted away(-:}

Music choices James Taylor’s Walking man started the walk, but Lee Ann Womack’s “ I hope you dance” took me home at a fast run.
I kept playing with the words substituting walk for dance, and thought of ways on Labor Day as I reach DC maybe people could be walking all over this nation to the beat of I hope you walk, I hope you believe our children are more than test scores…Then I thought there must be some way to bring us together digitally when I reach DCI hope you never lose your sense of wonder.
In side my mind it went:
“You get your fill to eat, but always keep that hunger,
May you never take one single breath for granted,
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed,
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give fate a fighting chance,”

And when you get the choice to sit it out or walk
I hope you walk, I hope you walk.

Tonight I am joinning Kurt love's group to brainstorm ways we can help each other fight NCLB. I take great pleasure in knowing that "Race to nowhere" is previewing in New York. Wish I could be there! Need to figure a way to bring it here as well. Love that film, and the way it inspires parents and teachers to see beyond the bubles on test sheets.
I feel a tidal wave building in my imagination. I believe in dreams, and I am walking to DC,
Jesse Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment