Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 4, 2012

There go I before the grace of god!




My Thoughts about politicians calling us a Food Stamp nation:
Once we had a war on poverty in America. 
Once we were the envy of the world.
We were far from perfect, but we were trying.
Then we stop trying. 
Our leaders ended the war on poverty, and began a war on the poor.
A people became apathetic.
The people remained silent during this war.
Being poor became something to ridicule.
Poverty became an excuse.
People no longer said "there go I, but by the grace of god"..
People began instead to point fingers at the poor.
Our nation lost it's way. 

We were warned:

Matthew 25:41-45 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me.’”



When that final day comes when all nations, and all people are called to judgement what reply shall we give to our lord?
Shall we say we favored the 1%, we gave them tax breaks, and privileges, and everyday we dreamed of being one of them? We worshiped them, we spent endless hours watching reality shows about them. 
We envied them. 
We are not a food stamp nation, but we are a nation in denial of our responsibility to the our poor, elderly, and our most needy.

Still walking,

Jesse

If you are wondering what I am listening and singing along to on my walk today:

I hear the crying of the hungry in the deserts where they're wandering.
Hear them crying out for heaven's own benevolence upon them.
Hear destructive power prevailing, I hear fools falsely hailing.
To the crooked wits of tyrants when they call.

I hear them all
I hear them all
I hear them all

I hear them all, and I'm still marching,
Jesse


PS here is a link to how we help the 1% keep wages low; 
http://front.moveon.org/the-secret-that-job-creators-like-walmart-wont-tell-you/#.Ty2SxzeBq5U.facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment