Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2016

After next Tuesday I'll still be talking, walking and marching for equity and justice


Some people wait on polticians for change. My thinking is that too long a wait for justice. So I'm talking, walking and marching my way to change.  Last night after a little talk about public education I gave some one asked me how do we change this mess?
Trust me activism is healthy. In Spring 2010 I found myself tipping the scale at 272 pounds, demoralized on education reform policies that made me feel like to succeed as a teacher I would have to commit education malpractice. I began putting on the weigh as soon as No Child Left Behind became law.
I fought as hard as I could against this reducing our nation's children, their teachers and public schools to test scores.
Phildelphia 2010 at NCTE, (National Council of Teachers of English) I presented with others our stories of resistance. Our stories opened up an emotional storm. Our audience not only shared similar stories of resistance they expected us to lead the resistance. For some crazy reason I said we can walk, every one needs to walk, every needs to tell our nation's legislators that children are more than test scores.
So I started walking, a half mile day, a mile, 2 miles, 3 miles, until I reached 10 miles a day to prepared for a 400 miles 40 day walk from CT to DC. I lost 50 pounds, and found myself motivated, engaged, and moving toward change. My activism helped me to be a better teacher, husband, father, and human being. By the end of that 2010 walk I tip the scales at 220. I kept that weight off, and I plan on walking Connecticut to protest these education policies that still harming our children and public schools this spring. Wanna bet I lose 20 pounds, and stand taller after my walk. My point is not about walking really, but in rejecting helplessness, silence, and apathy.
Here is a link to Anthony Cody who inspired my 2010 walk in his Teacher Letters To Obama. He covered both my walks, and has become a leading voice of resistance. http://www.livingindialogue.com/jesse-turner-still-walking…/
Rev Barber from Moral Mondays called all Americans to take this fight for justice to our state legislators. I plan on starting my walk in April, and fishing my walk at the Connecticut State Department of Education on Monday May 1, 2017. Consider walking the last mile with me this May Day?
Come spring 2017 I say lets every American walk to their state capitols,
Jesse The Walking Man Turner


If you like to listen to the song I listened to on my walk over the mountain this morning in the rain...its the late great Mahalia Jackson singing "I'm going to live the life I sing about in my song" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9S-KgYfvKg

No comments:

Post a Comment