Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2018

I never wanted to be an activist, all I ever wanted was to teach




This is me at my best,
This is me helping another child celebrate their first chapter book,
This is me opening doors to literacy for reluctant readers,
These plastic gold medals are all the data I need to know I am doing right by the children I teach.

I rather teach, than be a CEO,
I rather teach, than be president,
I rather teach, than be in the movies,
I rather help one child smile, than make a million dollars.

I rather teach, than march,
But, march I must,
I rather teach, than walk 400 miles,
But, walk I must,
I rather teach children, than test them,
To Teach, is all I want,
I rather teach, than fight high stakes testing,
But, fight I must,
I rather teach, than have to fight for the equity denied Black, Brown, Poor, and Special Education Children,
But, Fight I must,
I rather teach, than be an activist for immigration,
But, an activist I must.

I rather teach, but justice for all children calls,
I must answer,
I rather teach, but equity for all children calls,
I must answer,
I must fight for all to teach for all.

Like millions of other teachers, all I am asking is to,
Let me teach in the public schools our children deserve,
Jesse The Walking Man Turner

2011 Save Our Schools March in DC 
If you like to know what song inspired my walk over the Avon Mountain this morning..its...8,000 Rock Choir members singing Libi Siffre's Something Inside So Strong live at Wembley Arena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYgMkFk8V78 

Walking and singing: "The more you refuse to hear my voice The louder I will sing You hide behind walls of Jericho Your lies will come tumbling Deny my place in time You squander wealth that's mine My light will shine so brightly It will blind you Cos there's...... Something inside so strong I know that I can make it"

No comments:

Post a Comment