Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

I stand in the shadows of love for these Fighting Chicago Teachers


In August 63 in DC,
At the age of 8 years old,
I march with my grandfather
Heard the Dreamer's dream.
At the age of 10,
My father lifted his hand to strike my mother,
At 10 years old, I took the blow.

At the age of 11 years old my mother and I homeless and hungry,
At the age of 12 years old a teacher intervenes, and my older sister steps in,
At the age of 13 years old, I was back on track,
Maslow's hierarchy in place for the 6,
By 18 years old my mother and I had a place of our own,
Smarter and wiser at a younger age,
I was University-bound,

Took a little longer than most,
A rising star, bound for glory.  
At 25, I entered my first classroom,
At 25, I found my purpose.
At 28 years old I married Carolyn Cullen,
At 33 Erin Beth was born, I cut the core securing her in my heart until I am no more.
At 51 I earned that Ph.D.,
At 64, the fire stills burns,
The mission remains strong,
The load may be heavy,
If you think I can't carry this load?
Then you really don't know this teacher.
If you think teachers don't carry every moment into their classrooms?Then you don't know anything about teachers.
If you think teachers bow down to standards and data points?
Then you don't know anything about teachers.
These Ed Reformers, Ed Scammers, Make a buck CEOs, have no idea about what teachers carry with them into their classrooms.
If you think these Chicago Teachers can't carry the children they teach?
Then you don't know Chicago Teachers.
Teachers carry it all, it's what guides every lesson,
It's what gives them strength,
It's what they carry that makes them fighting teachers.
In October 2019, I stand with these Fighting Chicago Teachers,
I stand with them until I can stand no more.
Shout on every street corner,
Tell it on every mountaintop,
I stand with my rank and file sisters and brothers in Chicago,

Jesse The Walking Man Turner


If you want to listen to the song that inspired my walk this morning its bill Withers Lean On Me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-59COFjB6Sk

No comments:

Post a Comment