Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

I reject your standards without humanity



I am an academic, an education scholar, a teacher of teachers. I have deeply studied the literature, and I have found the current education reforms to be extremely harmful to children, their teachers, and our public schools. They have no data to support the wasted billions on the most massive education reforms of NCLB, RTTT, and ESSA of the past 15 years. I have testified, written, and marched against this massive destruction of childhood. I am perplexed by this insanity that is push by the powerful, the wealthy, and the connected. This idea that the only purpose of public schools is to make children college ready, and to leave childhood behind as early as kindergarten.

It is written in Matthew 18:3 "And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

What would Christ say to standardized education standards void of:
Morality,
Humanity,
Childhood,
Imagination,
Play,
Love,
Innocence,
And a world where leaders measure childhood not in love, but in test scores?

Children are the same all over the world, they come in all colors, all faiths, and sizes. They are unique in every way, no two are alike, and they are wonders.
If you study them, work with them, and see the world through their eyes?
Everything is beautiful.
 
I am blessed with eyes that refuse to grow up,
I still like to roll around on the floor,
I still crazy dance,
I still sing out of tune without caring,
I still color outside the lines,
And I pray Lord, our policy makers and political leaders learn to let children be children again.
I am weary of standards that turn children into college ready little adults.
Little college ready adults void of wonder, imagination, and innocence.

Whisper it, in the shadows,
Shout it, out every window,
Call, Wall street,
Call every governor,
Call every mayors,
Call the White House,
Tell the Think Tanks,
Tell it, to every political leader in the land,
Share it, on every village green,
Ring every bell, in the land,
Tell it on every mountaintop,
Ye, you the powerful, the wealthy, and the connected,
We reject your standards without humanity,
Jesse The Walking Man Turner


If you like to listen to the tune that this walking man listened to on his morning walk...it's "Teach Your Children" cover by Play For Change https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZIx55cFf-o





No comments:

Post a Comment