Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Come gather we dreamers, justice calls


In his 1964 Noble Prize acceptance speech Dr. Martin Luther Kind said: " I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality."
I refuse to accept a view of Education Reform rooted in schools for profit,
I refuse to accept that the way to desegregation is through closing public schools, and replacing them with even more segregated Charter Schools,
I refuse to accept that inequity and justice in our public school system is to expensive to fix,
I refuse to accept the political compromises of racism that have weaken 1954 Brown Vs The of Education,
I refuse to be part of an evil silence in the face of racism,
I refuse to accept a status quo that forces our poorest schools to compete against each other for resources,
I refuse to be apathetic when policy makers, politicians, and CEO's reduce education to test scores.

I have no power,
I have no riches,
I have no Wall Street CEOs in my back pocket,
No powerful well funded lobby groups represents me,
I am just one person.
But, I am one person who heard one man speak about a dream,
I am one person who fully accepts that legacy of the dreamer,
I have two legs made for marching,
I have a song to sing,
We Shall Over Come.
The Wealthy, the powerful, and the connected can not dampen that dream planted in my heart by our nation's dreamer,
Rise up keepers of the dream,
Come gather we dreamers together,
Justice calls,
Equity calls,
Hope lives,
And we shall over come.
Jesse The Walking Man Turner has never stopped marching for that reality of a daybreak of peace and brotherhood.

If you like to listen to the tune I listen to walking up the Monadnock mountain in New Hampshire this morning...its Peter Seeger singing "We Shall Over Come" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVQ6Y8szaBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment