Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2015

I am no one, I am everyone, I am you


5 days out from my walk to DC, and this boy is ready and able to carry this load for our children, parents, teachers, and our public schools.

I am a man on a mission,
A man with a heart full of hope,
A man inspired by the people,
A loving father,
A loving husband,
A loving teacher,
A man of the people and for the people.

I am a man on fire,
Inspired by:
That prophet Moses who walked for 40 years to lead his people to the promise land,
A student of American history,
A history of two great nations within a nation that walked for the survival of their nations, inspired by Cherokee people who walked a Trial of Tears, and
The Navajo People who walked that Long Walk.
A history of those Selma Bridge Crossers who walked for the right to vote,
I burn with the inspiration of all those who came before me.

Call me a dreamer, inspired by another Dreamer Martin Luther King who walked a nation out of Jim Crow,
A proud believer in the power of walking for just causes,
A student of labor's Cesar Chavez 340 mile walk to Sacramento,
I am a walking man on a quest to save our public schools, our children, and our teachers.

I am one of you,
I do not dine with CEOs,
I do not play golf with Senators and members of Congress,
No governor calls me,
The White House does not know my name,
I owe no alliance to the K-Street Lobbyists,
I know no billionaires,
I am own by no one, 
I am no one,
But I am everyone.

Tell it on every street corner,
Ring every bell, this walking man refuses to listen to these Education Deformers who have sold our children into the bondage of profiteers.
Tell them I am fortified with the scripture of Amos" Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps."
Tell them I am empowered by Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Our children are not their profits,
Our public schools are not for sale,
Our teachers are not their pawns of oppression,
Silence and apathy are not the pillars of democracy, but the enemies of a free people,
I can hear Dr. Martin Luther King calling to us, reminding us,
‘Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream" 
Can't you feel Martin saying my people you are a mighty stream of righteousness rolling?
Come walk with me brothers and sisters,
Jesse The Walking Man Turner

If you like to know what this Walking Man is listening to on his morning walk, it's Lean On Me by Playing for change around the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiouJsnYytI

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to put your walk information out on my adjunct and higher ed advocacy networks too. Just recently I read about an adjunct biking across country (while teaching on-line) and interviewing adjuncts en route.

    ReplyDelete