Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Who speaks for the poor, the fallen and the broken?

While my wife went to get us coffee in the Duncan Donuts today at the New Haven train station. I sat on their wooden benches with our suitcase. As I sat down I noticed a young man in his early 20s with tears running down his cheeks. I asked are you alright? He said I am alright sir. I said are you sure? You look like you need some help. 

I reached out my hand, and said my name is Jesse. We shook hands, and he said I'm Joseph. Then he said I am trying to get home, but the conductor said my metro ticket was 4 dollars short. I had to get off the train. I am tire. I don't know anyone around here. I just want to get home. I need to go home. 

At breakfast this morning the cashier just happened to give me 4 dollars change. I gave it to him. He tried to give it back to me, but I said no. He broke down I gave him a small hug. He said are you sure...I said I was only going to buy lottery tickets with it. He said here you can buy your lottery tickets. I said no, besides I'm always 6 numbers away. He smiled...that smile was worth a million dollars. The world was new for a few minutes. Carolyn came back with our coffee, and I ask her if she has a couple of dollars...we gave it to him. It's wasn't much. It won't buy us a ticket into heaven, but it did buy Joseph a cup of coffee,

a donut, and his ticket home. 
There go I, but for the grace of God. 

On the drive home my wife said I hope that young man makes it home. I said I am sure he is already on his way. She said I'm glad you were there for him today. I said, I think he was there for me. He helped me discover my humanity. What if the less fortunate are all there for us? There to help us discover our humanity. 


Howard Thurman author of Jesus and the Disinherited said" “It cannot be denied that too often the weight of the Christian movement has been on the side of the strong and the powerful and against the weak and oppressed—this, despite the gospel.”
The gospel speaks often of the poor and needy. Calling us to give generously to them, and to speak up on their behalf.

Dr. King said: "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." 
Just wondering who speaks for the poor in America? Who is speaking for the fallen? Who speaks for those who can't pay the fare home?
Dear God, see Joseph home safely, and forgive me for not giving more,
Jesse The Walking Man Turner 

If you like to hear the song from my walk this morning it's "Love Rescue Me" sang by The Omagh Community Youth Choir for Play For Change https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz6d60ysb-Y 




No comments:

Post a Comment