Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2017

I'm not waiting America's courts


State Heroine Prudence Crandall, with a Student in Hartford LOB.

At Howard University in Washington DC at the 2015 Save Our Schools Coalition
March and conference
I'm not waiting
Some educator reformers are inspired by Wall Street Billionaires, Presidents, and Politicians,
They look to these as prophets of justice and equity,
Some live on their every word,
Some live to touch their garments in hopes of salvation.
But, I say these are the very ones who have always compromised equity and justice in education.
These are the ones who say equity someday will come, but not this day,
These are the ones who say justice someday will come, but not this day,
Be patient people, you can't expect the world to change overnight.
Yeah, I know these people,
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. knew these people,
On April 16, 1963, he wrote his historic Letter from a Birmingham Jail,
Some know the reason why he wrote his letter,
But, more have no clue,
Some know the reason he wrote from an Alabama jail cell,
I suspect many of these current so-called Ed Reformers, and their idol Wall Street Billionaires haven't a clue.
I have read in between Martin's jail house lines, and found that April 12, 1963 Clerical letter: ALABAMA CLERGYMEN'S LETTER TO DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
I have read their words:
"We the undersigned clergymen are among those who in January, issued "An Appeal for Law and Order and Common Sense," in dealing with racial problems in Alabama. We expressed understanding that honest convictions in racial matters could properly be pursued in the courts but urged that decisions of those courts should in the meantime be peacefully obeyed."
Oh, Yeah I have read the one before, the jail letter,
I know why Martin rejected their be patient Negro people,
Let our courts work it all out.

Those very same courts that enforced 3/5s of a human being,
The  Supreme Court that ruled that Dred Scott was still a slave, and if his owners wanted they could come get him anytime,
The court that said he had no right to file suit in these United States,
As he was not a citizen of the nation he was born in.
The courts that allowed Jim Crow to flourish,
The courts that allow voter intimidation in our land today,
The courts that gave no justice to:
Trevon Martin,
Michael Brown,
Eric Gardner,
Sandra Bland,
Alton Sterling,
Or a thousand other Black souls.
While, the privilege can be patient,
While, others can wait on the courts,
While, others can have faith in School Choice Policies without equity.
While, others can place their faith in Courts, Billionaires and Politicians,
I know, better.
I know, our nation's history,
I know, what the life of a real education activist looks like,
It isn’t no Principal Perry on CNN,
For I have studied the life of Prudence Crandall,
That American schoolteacher and activist who pushed for women's suffrage and the rights of Black Girls,
And, in old Canterbury,
They, burnt her school for Black Girls,
Like Dr. King, they jailed her.
But, like Dr. King no prison cell could hold her.
I am tired of patience,
I am tired of waiting,
I draw my line in the sand,
I am not standing with these Ed Reformers who say someday, but for now let our public schools compete against each other for limited resources.
I don't want justice in our public schools’ tomorrow,
I don't want our poorest school to compete against each other.
I reject that old notion of dog eat dog.

What do I want?
Equity!
When do I want it?
Now!

What do I want?
Justice!
When do I want it?
Now!
What am I marching for?
Equity!
When am I marching,
Every day the call goes out.
Like Steinbeck's Tom Joad I'll be there.
Now you know where I'll be,
Now you what I am fighting for,
Now you know I'm marching  for,
I'll be there,
Jesse The Walking Man Turner
First United Opt Out Washington DC Department of Education
Like Tom Joad said at the very end. I am ready to take responsibility for justice. Like Tom I have come to understand we are each other's keeper. . I head the ghost of Tom calling me.
"
Wherever they’s a fight so hungry people can eat, I’ll be there.
Wherever they’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, I’ll be there.
If Casy knowed, why, I’ll be in the way guys yell when they’re mad an’—I’ll be in the way kids laugh when they’re hungry n’ they know supper’s ready. An’ when our folks eat the stuff they raise an’ live in the houses they build—why, I’ll be there. See? God, I’m talkin’ like Casy. Comes of thinkin’ about him so much. Seems like I can see him sometimes." ~ Steinbeck Grapes of Wrath

If you want to listen to the song that inspired my walk over the Avon Mountain this morning it's 
Tom Morello "Ghost of Tom Joad" w/Roger Waters and Wounded Warriors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNh7QTU40WM

No comments:

Post a Comment