Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Oh, where have you been, my walking man?

-->
Rose Ryes and Jo Lib helping to map our my 2015 walk to DC
There is no doubt in my mind that the next generation. The one we tested until they cried, tested until they were broken, turned their childhood in data points on corporate scatter charts,  did all we could to kill art, music, drama, and play in our public schools.
Why?
For the love of money!

There is no doubt this generation will kill high-stakes testing when they inherit power. In the meantime this Walking Man is going to be in the face of these Corporate Pirates, their policy makers, and legislative lap dogs.

In the mean time here is a poem written for the Walking Man by Dr. Ernie Pancsofar from the Department of Special Education and Intervention at Central Connecticut State University.
This poem has its roots in Dylan’s A Hard Rain’s A Gonna Fall. My colleague and friend, Jesse Turner, walked from Connecticut to Washington DC on two occasions to protest the harm done to children by the high-stakes assessment culture that pervades our schools. I applaud Jesse’s dedication and advocacy on behalf of all children.

The High Stakes Tests are Gonna Fall
Oh, where have you been, my walking man? Oh, where have you been, out walking the land?
I’ve walked in my home state – yes, from the Northeast; 10 miles at a time in the rain and the heat. I’ve been in the country and I’ve been in many a town. My steps take me up and they also bring me down.
I’ve stepped on the sidewalk and I’ve stepped in the street. I’ve walked alone and with the many people I meet.
Each day’s a new dawn with the friends that I make. Their spirit is with me every step that I take.
And I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk - - - for us all.
For the High Stakes Tests - - - are Gonna Fall.

Oh, what did you see, my walking man? Oh, what did you see, out walking the land?
I saw young and old and black and white.
I saw love and honor in the day and the night.

I saw signs and posters after walking many miles.

I saw hope on their faces and was met with huge smiles.
I saw defiance and grit and not backing down.

That’s what I saw as I went town by town.
And I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk - - - for us all.
For the High Stakes Tests - - - are Gonna Fall.

Oh, what did you hear, my walking man? Oh, what did you hear, out walking the land?
I heard teachers, students, and parents all pleading, Get rid of those TESTS – our hearts are a’bleeding!
I heard shouts of anguish and long drawn out sighing.

I heard heart-wrenching screams amid all the crying.

I heard laughter from the people who make all their money,
Off the backs of the students who don’t think it’s that funny.
I heard critics who say we all can do better.

I heard from hundreds of parents who sent me their letters.
And I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk - - - for us all.
For the High Stakes Tests - - - are Gonna Fall.

Oh, who did you meet, my walking man?  Oh, who did you meet, out walking the land?
I met the eyes of the students in all types of schools.
I met our next senators – the future makers of new rules.
I met parents who just want what’s right and what’s just.
They all are behind me – Washington DC or bust!

I met people who offered me food and a drink.

I met people who wanted to hear what I think.

I met hard working people who will not give up hope.

I met love and faith – two great ways we can cope.
And I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk - - - for us all.
For the High Stakes Tests - - - are Gonna Fall.

Oh, what will you do now, my walking man? Oh, what will you do now, out walking the land?
I’ll talk to all people who know things are not right.
I’ll share all the stories and help them shed some light.

I’ll work with our teachers for better ways to assess.

I’ll help make real plans to get us out of this mess.

I’ll dedicate my life to the students I meet
in our literacy center – when they come each week.
I’ll never back down from the high stakes test lies,
from the people who deceive and pull the wool over our eyes.
And I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk, yes I’ll walk - - - for us all.
For the High Stakes Tests - - - are Gonna Fall.
Image from the end of my 2015 in Washington DC. Where BATS came to welcome me.

If you like to listen to the song this Walking Man is listening to on his walk this morning over the Avon Mountain....it's Barry Lane's Jesse Turner is a Walking Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BRZUlpO75Q
First, thank you Dr. Pancsofar for your gift poem, and second-yes brother those High Stakes Tests are gonna fall,
Jesse The Walking Man Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment