Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 30, 2015

You never know who you'll meet on a good walk

Thomas Paine said" “The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.” I am standing next to Mark Naison here, a man whose religion is to do good. Especially for the ones a young Jewish poet named Emma Lazarus called to America in her poem found at the Statue of Liberty.
He talks the talk, and walks the talk of her words in the "The New Colossus"
I remember my third grade teacher Mrs Gitter reading Emma's poem on top of her desk holding an old kerosene lamp making every word come alive. Reading:
"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,0
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Mrs Gitter did not read "The New Colossus", because it would be on the test. She read it, because it mattered to America. She read it, because it mattered to a bunch of third grade children who could see the Statue of Liberty everyday on their way to school. She read it, because it would shape a new generation of Americans. She read it, because she loved us, and we knew loved us.
Well America needs people whose religion is to do good, and I am looking forward to walking for my brother Mark Naison in the fellowship of doing good. Come walk with us for children on June 23rd in the Bronx....
Can't wait until I start walking to Bronx on my way to DC,
Jesse


If you are wonder what song inspired me on my walk today it's Martha Bass's 1972 Walk with me > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm4j48BsIb4 <

No comments:

Post a Comment