Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2016

Just VOTE!

James Baldwin said: "I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually."

My love for America is bigger than who wins and who loses on election day. I have been voting for over 40 years now. I am not one of those people who if their candidate doesn't win they are moving over seas. I am an American, and my love for my nation runs deep enough to fight for those aspirations found in our Declaration of Independence:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
So I'll be staying right here fighting for my people regardless of who wins on Tuesday. I'll be voting on Tuesday, and Wednesday fighting for the right to vote. I'll be fighting for voting rights again in Selma Alabama in March at the Selma Jubilee. Like James Baldwin I insist on the right to criticize America, because I love my nation. I plan on criticizing America, and fighting for my people until like the Scripture said: "But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream." (Amos 5:24)
voting until justice rolls down like waters,
Jesse The Walking Man Turner 

If you like to listen to the song that inspired my walk today...its the Freedom Singers at the 63 March on Washington singing we shall not be moved.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duvoETGVvYU 

No comments:

Post a Comment